Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Factoid about Israel

According to the dead-tree Hebrew version of yesterday's The Marker (unfortunately I can't find the link today), there are in Israel 8.3 million registered cell-phone users, for a population of about 7 million, including infants, senile centenarians, politicians and chimney sweeps. (Come to think of it, I don't recollect ever having encountered an Israeli chimney sweep).

Then I reflected upon the fact that for the 5 adults in my section of the Lozowick family, there are 8 registered cell phone users (Nechama and I have only one line each). Having pondered further, however, it occurred to me that only 5 of the lines are active; one has been dead at least 3 years, and two others have been dormant for many months at the very least. Makes you wonder about the reliability of facts from newspapers: Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

No comments: